Using POP to download mail from a mailbox has the following problems:
- Only emails from the INBOX get downloaded using POP. Any mails sent or in other folders will not get downloaded.
- For large downloads, the company Internet will get used up leading to slow Internet access for all other users of the company.
- A large download may lead to corruption of data in the email client.
- The email client will become unresponsive for the user and regular mail flow will be hampered
- Depending on the Internet bandwidth and the size of the mailbox, the download may take many days.
- The ISP may block the POP port if the download crosses the threshold set.
- POP access to the account on the SkyConnect server will get blocked if it crosses the threshold.
- May cross the size limits of a PST in the desktop client.